Marsala is the color of the year for 2015. I have always been a huge fan of shades like this. A warm neutral with a twist is how I see this pinky/red tone. My favorite way to incorporate this color is through makeup. I think this shade compliments so many skin tones. It looks beautiful on the lids, cheeks and lips. I would definitely suggest playing with colors like this on your face one day and see if you like it. Accessories in this shade are also an easy way to switch up your look. It has a little more interest than a tan or brown bag, but still works with so many other colors. Let me know what you would be most likely to pick up in the new marsala shade below!
So last week we talked about makeup, today is all about hair! 2014 was definitely a year of collecting hair products. From hairspray to masks, I have gone on a rampage testing out a bazillion products. I love working with hair products in place of hot tools. They are a great way to give your hair a break from the heat and amp up your style. I mean, I couldn’t live without dry shampoo. I try to go two days without washing my hair. When I tell most people this, they look at me with disgust…seriously. But it has made my hair so healthy and it grows way faster then before. I also rarely dye my hair now. Honestly, for the past three years I have been dying my hair once a year. I usually get balayage and ombre highlights put it and let my hair grown out naturally. I don’t touch my roots ever. My auburn is getting a lot darker these days and I’m trying to embrace the darker hue and resist going lighter. Okay now on to some hair products that I couldn’t live without. (To see more info on these products, watch my video HERE!)
1. DermOrganic Shampoo & Masque: This has been the one shampoo/conditioner that has really stood out to me this year. It is packed with effective yet natural ingredients, and keeps my hair incredibly healthy and shiny. I love that is has argan oil inside which is great at adding moisture, but it never weighs my hair down. I order mine off Vitacost, but I always see them at Marshalls and Tjmaxx.
2. Giovanni Natural Mousse: What I love most about this mousse, is how you can’t feel it when applied to your hair. It is so lightweight but still adds so much volume and bounce. I use one to two pumps and apply to wet hair. When I blow-dry, I always notice a difference in how much lift my hair has. Another bonus is that it’s made with natural and safe ingredients.
3. Alterna Beach Sun-Recovery Spray: This is my go-to leave-in conditioner, and has been for a few years. It leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and it smells so fruity and delicious. This is great year round, but especially in the summer when your hair is extra dry and brittle.
4. Bumble and Bumble Texture: Oldie but a goodie. I got this such a long time ago, so don’t let the price fool you. You really get your money’s worth here. I first found out about this from an old hair dresser of mine and was sold after she used it on me. It’s a putty consistency and you have to apply it on wet hair. If you want a surf/relaxed curl you can scrunch your hair and let it air dry. I do this a lot in the summer for an easy hairstyle. Another option is to comb it through, then blow dry your hair and style. The product will give your hair a bit of hold and yes…texture. It really alows you control your hair style and keep your hairstyle alive for at least two days.
5. Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment: I had a sample of this in Hawaii a few years ago and it kept my hair from becoming overly dry despite the weather. It’s a rich oil that you apply to the ends of wet hair. I love how hydrated it keeps my locks and the beautiful, slightly intoxicating scent it leaves in your hair. You can also apply a little to dry hair to smooth your ends, just don’t use too much.
6. Redken Wind Blow Dry Spray: I’m not a huge fan of strong hold hairsprays, which is why this spray has quickly become my BFF. It is a dry spray, so it won’t leave a tacky residue in your hair. Like the name says, it honestly looks like the wind has blown your hair around after using it. I love using this to finish off my hair style and give it an airy bounce. Pretty much my ideal finishing spray.
7. Teaze Comb: A must have! If my hair is ever flat, which is most of the time, I use this toward my part. A teazing ‘brush’ is so much more effective and less abrasive than a standard comb. I keep one in my purse and one in my bathroom AT ALL TIMES. Skip coffee one day and buy yourself one of these gems.
8. Got2B Volumizing Powder: If you want lasting volume, this is a must. It’s a slightly tacky powder that you pour into the roots of your hair. I rub it into my scalp and sometimes will go over it with a teasing comb for extra volume. Whenever I have an event to go to I always use this. If teasing your hair alone doesn’t do the trick, definitely try this as well. It amps up the lift like no other.
9. Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo: A surprising favorite for me this year. I wanted to include something that was easy to find at the drugstore that was also very effective. Dry shampoo’s can be tricky. Some leave a white residue, smell funky, or make your hair feel heavy. This one does everything you could want a dry shampoo to do. It takes away oil, leaves behind a refreshing smell, and adds weightless body to your hair.
10. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Dry Shampoo: This is usually my go-to dry shampoo. It’s a powder form which is great because it is much more gentle and safe on your hair. It’s also anti-aging and removes product build up. If you are okay with spending a little more money, I’d go with this dry shampoo.
11. Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask: I have tried many hair masks and this has worked the best for my hair. It is incredibly hydrating and healing. Not to mention it has the same scent the the healing oil has. I like to use this about once every two weeks to keep my hair looking and feeling it’s best.
I just got done painting my nails and was completely inspired by a new color palette for this winter. When I think of winter nails, I think dusty purples and blues, muted nudes and deep wines. I love my nails to have color and be interesting, but I also need a break from all the cherry reds I was wearing back in November and December. I rounded up my top nail colors that draw me in. These shades all have that soft vibe, and give you the feeling of cozy nights in and a shift in seasons.
Hi friends! I hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was packed with lots and lots of football. But I couldn’t be happier because the Seahawks won, which means I am going to Seattle on Saturday! I feel like Seattle is actually home to me. Is that weird considering Andrew and I only lived there for 4 months? I am so ready for the all the rain and all the food! I’m making a list of all my favorite places and will see how many we can get to. I may gain 20 pounds in one weekend. But so worth it! I’ve been dreaming of Piroshky Piroshky. It’s at Pike Place Market and is this little Russian bakery that serves up both sweet and savory foods. If you look at the website you might hate me, because you’ll want to go eat immediately. Oh man I got the beef and cheese one I think, and it was so decadent. Umm I just checked their site and you can get it shipped to you!! I may have to try that out once. I like how I’m going on and on about food and this is an outfit post. Can you tell I’m hungry right now? It’s lunch time. I hope you enjoy today’s post! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Today we are talking makeup! I went through my makeup and grabbed everything that has really stood out to me this year. These are products that I love and recommend to all my friends. I also have a few extras in my YouTube video HERE. Let me know in the comments your top 2 products from 2014. I hope you all enjoy my picks!
1 – Cover FX Calming Primer: Cover FX products are always in my favorites because they packed with skin-soothing ingredients and free of nasty chemicals and irritants. Oh ya and they work! This primer in particular feels amazing when you apply it. It reduces redness and inflammation which is great after a late night or a lack of sleep. It also clarifies, brightens and evens out your skin tone.
2 – Nars Blush in Madly: This is a blush you would most likely pass by when scanning the makeup counter. It doesn’t look like much in the pan, but once you apply it, you’ll see how it transforms your complexion. That sounds a little dramatic, but I love a good blush. It’s very warm-toned and gives a sun kissed look to your cheeks without being shimmery. I also love to use this as a crease color on my lids. Nars blushes are crazy pigmented and even though they are slightly more expensive, they’ll last forever.
3 – Loreal Shocking Extensions Mascara (waterproof): I am so glad I discovered this mascara. Make sure you get the waterproof formula because it’s completely different than the original. The wand is very thin and has little spikes that separate your lashes. You can really work the wand into the base of your lashes to add both volume and length. I like applying a thickening mascara first, then layering this for crazy lift and separation.
4 – Lorac Porefection Foundation: This has become my number one foundation. It gives a flawless finish to the skin and lasts all day long. It’s packed with anti-aging ingredients like vitamins A & E, aloe leaf, lemon fruit extract and papaya fruit extract. The formula feels incredibly hydrating on the skin and also has SPF 20, always a plus! You’ll get a natural, slightly satin finish and medium to full coverage. I have a few pumps left of mine and I’m trying so hard to savor it!
5 – Mac Lipstick in Blankety: I keep this lipstick in my purse everyday. A lot of nudes pull orange on me because I have really pigmented lips. This lipstick has a slight mauve tone to it and looks true to color when on. It’s an amplified formula which is super creamy and velvety. I have over 10 different lip products in my purse, and this is always the one that ends up on my lips.
6 – Buxom Gloss in White Russian: Another purse favorite! I like to have this near me at all times. It lasts sooo long on your lips, sometimes I can’t even believe it. It is a light milky pink color and plumps up your lips a little when you have it on. It has a little bit of tack to it but feels really comfortable on the lips. This is what I use on brides because of the great staying power and universally flattering shade.
7 – Cover FX Cream Concealer: This concealer is pretty rich in texture, so you need the smallest amount when applying to your skin. I dot a little under my eyes and blend out with either my fingertips or a brush. You can also use on other areas of your face, like dark spots or blemishes. It’s also incredibly hydrating and full coverage!
8 – Mac Blush in Tenderling: Another blush that you wouldn’t look twice at. I tend to go for these muted shades of blush. Tenderling is a cool toned blush that is great for people with fair skin. It’s a rosey-nude, that compliments any makeup look. Whenever I want a very neutral face, I like to pop this on my cheeks to give a slight flush of color.
9 – Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer: The packaging has recently changed for this product but what’s inside hasn’t! I would say this is more of a foundation than tinted moisturizer. It gives amazing coverage for a ‘tinted moisturizer’ and leaves your skin looking radiant. It also has hyaluronic acid inside which plumps and tightens the skin while filling in deep wrinkles over the course of the day. Have I sold you yet? It also evens out your skin tone, adds moisture to your skin, and has SPF 15. If you want to treat yourself to a luxurious product, this is it!
10 – Benecos Eyeliner: I discovered this natural eyeliner a few years ago and it’s become a staple ever since. I have super sensitive eyes and wear contacts everyday so a lot of eyeliners smudge on my contacts or irritate my eyes throughout the day. This product is both highly pigmented and non-irritating. Black and blue are the two colors I’ve tried, and I love them both.
11 – Bite Beauty Matte Lip Crayon in Glace: So much love for this lippie! It gives the most beautiful mauve matte lip. I never was much of a matte person, but now I’m sold. Matte products typically are very drying, but this product has orange peel extract and resveratrol which keeps your lips super hydrated. Bite Beauty products are made with food-grade ingredients, so you can breath easy knowing you aren’t ingesting nasty chemicals. Every time I wear this color when when I’m with a friend, they try it on and buy it the next day. Seriously it’s that impressive. Oh and it’s water-resistant!
Today I put together an outfit that is super warm, but also fashionable at the same time. I love layering different fabrics and textures to give a lived-in look. I usually stick to neutrals and add in accents of deeper tones like hunter green and navy blue. Starting off with basics like distressed pants and a chunky knit gives you the freedom to accessorize. Then you can throw on a textured coat, scarf and beanie to bundle up! Gold jewelry and a structured bag are always classic and will pull your entire outfit together. It has been pretty cold here lately, but still super sunny so I couldn’t forget a great pair of sunnies!
Happy New Year everyone! This has felt like such a long holiday season, I am actually totally ready to get back into a normal routine. So on this first Monday of the new year, I felt like recapping 2014 to see all that had happened during those 365 days.
A lot happened for me in 2014. This year started off with a lot of blogging and YouTube events. I attended IMATS which was a ton of fun. I got to catch up with other YouTubers and get some highly discounted makeup! I also attended an event by Glamour and filmed a hair tutorial for Sephora TV. The first few months of 2014 involved a lot of driving to LA for meet ups and what not. Looking back, it feels like such a long time ago, but it was a really exciting time for me and my channel. I had recently started working on my blog and YouTube full time and that meant a lot of changes. My hours were completely different, now I was free on the weekends and could spend more time with Andrew which was great.
I also started seeing a shift in the content of my videos. I started focusing more on natural products and healthy living. This included what I ate to what I put on my hair. The previous year I had started switching most of my products over, but by this time it was in full swing! Even now, I am loving how my channel has evolved so much since when I first started. There is nothing more encouraging then when one of you lets me know how much better you feel from eating less gluten or how much clearer your skin is from using natural skincare.
But the biggest change of 2014, was moving to Seattle for four months. I look back on that summer with so many fond memories. Andrew and I went on some breathtaking hikes and saw some spectacular sights. We also ate some of the best meals we have ever tried. I loved how everything was fresh and local. We lived right next to Pike Place Market so everything was walking distance from our apartment. Let’s not forget all the yummy sweets I consumed along with some of the best coffee on earth. Seriously it was the real deal. I still dream of moving back. I loved the rain, culture, people and everything else Seattle had to offer.
A few other highlights were spending the weekend in New York for fashion week, and obviously a few trips to Disneyland! But besides all the fun little trips I had, I am most of all grateful for the people around me this year. I was able to spend some time with my three nieces and nephew, who always provide me with endless smiles and laughs. I also strengthened a lot of friendships and made some amazing new friends this year. Andrew is almost done with Physical Therapy school and I am so excited for all that’s in store for him in these next couple months. We also moved in with my parents until we find a new place so we are getting lots of family time in! I hope you all had a great 2014. I also hope that you look back on the great memories you created rather than fixating on what you didn’t do. This year my only resolution is to enjoy each moment and not stress about the future. Here’s to a near year, new beginnings and new opportunities!
Something I love about entryway’s is how they set the tone for the rest of the home. I’m a sucker for bright spaces with eclectic accents pieces. Your entry should be both beautiful and functional. A place to sit and put your purse or keys is a must. I also love statement light fixtures, neutral colors and earthy accents. I hope these pictures give you inspiration!
statement light fixture
a plant (adds a touch of green and warmth to any room)
It’s almost 2015! I am rounding up my top products of the year and figured I’d start out with skincare. I have a slight obsession with skin care products and am so happy with all the great products I’ve discovered this year. I am a huge fan of using products with pure and natural ingredients. They have transformed my skin and I highly suggest you try substituting some of your products with harsh ingredients with more pure ones. Here are my very favorite skin care items that I use daily!
1. Giovanni Facial Cleansing Towelettes- I always like having face wipes on hand. They are great at taking off the bulk of your makeup, especially while you are watching tv at night! I don’t count on these to do all of my cleansing, but they work really well at a quick and easy clean. (I always wash my face later on with an actual cleanser…see number 2.)
2. Sibu Sea Buckthorn Cleanser- SO. GOOD. If you want the perfect cleanser here you go! This is my go-to. It does a great job at taking your makeup off and giving your skin a deep clean. It has tiny beads that really help to get all the gunk out of your pores. It smells lightly of citrus and has a gel texture. This cleanser won’t burn your eyes and will keep your breakouts away. Seriously, buy it.
3. Shea Terra Argan and Rosemary Cleansing Oil- Alright this product has been life-changing ever since I started using it. No joke. Basically, it’s an oil that you apply first to a cotton ball, then wipe all across your face after you cleanse. You will see everything that wasn’t washed away with your cleanser on the cotton ball. Sometimes if I don’t do a good job at washing my face, it’s a little gross seeing all the gunk that I end up wiping off. But it will leave your skin completely purified and since there is rosemary in this, you are fighting the bacteria on your face. I don’t usually need a moisturizer after I used this product.
4. Andalou Naturals Dermal Filler- I have recently started noticing fine lines on my skin. Sad day. A friend recommended this to me to target under eye fine lines and smile lines near the mouth. I love the smooth texture this product has and I actually can tell that it works. Definitely a staple in my routine now, and it’s always in my shopping cart!
5. CSI Vivid Eyes Cucumber Eye Cream- I don’t get much darkness under my eyes, but I do get puffy in the morning. This eye cream works almost instantly at reducing any redness or puffy areas around your eyes. I love the refreshing scent and how lightweight it is. I see this as an instant wake up product. (Especially great after a long night!)
6. Andalou Naturals Rosewater Mask- Holy moly. The second I opened this little gem and gave it a whiff I was sold. Then after I applied it to my skin I wanted to tell every person I know to go run and buy one! It feels so luxurious and smells like a sweet rosey marshmallow. This is great for replenishing dry skin and adding a glow to the skin.
7. Alba Good & Healthy Weightless Moisture Lotion- This lotion has actual veggies inside so it doesn’t have the best scent. However, the ingredients are so nourishing that I can let that slide. This keeps my skin from ever feeling dry or itchy during the winter months. It works great under makeup and has helped my skin stay balanced.
8. Purlisse Pur-Protect Spf 30 Sunscreen- This is a great all around sunscreen. I apply this either before or after my moisturizer. Honestly which ever is closer to me goes on my skin first! I love that this sunscreen doesn’t smell to strong and is super lightweight. It also has soothing ingredients inside like white tea, which really helps calm my sensitive skin.
9. Andalou Illuminating Toner- I am a huge fan of the brightening line from Andalou Naturals. This toner does a great job at keeping your skin balanced and gets rid of any dirt and grime. With all the brightening products, your skin will look more radiant after using them.
10. Avalon Organics Lavender Scrub- All time favorite scrub. This is an incredibly soothing scrub, which is great if you have sensitive skin like I do. It feels amazing when applied to the skin and you will notice an improvement in your skin after the first use. I love seeing how my skin glows after I use this scrub…it’s slightly addicting. If you are looking for a new scrub this is a no brainer.
11. Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Night Cream- Like the rose mask I use, this has a similar scent and texture. It not only feels great, but keeps my skin hydrated throughout the entire night. I hate waking up with tight and itchy skin, but when I use this product that never happens! I prefer using this when my skin is on the dry side because it is a rich cream, but never clogs my pores.
12. Just Natural Acne Spot Treatment- Last but not least is this miracle oil. I apply this to any active pimples or bumps on my skin overnight. When I wake up my bumps are either completely gone or reduced in size dramatically! I have tried countless acne products and this is by FAR the best I’ve tried. You might be thinking ‘oil on pimples’? Until you try it out for yourself you won’t know how amazing it is. Trust!
Merry almost Christmas! I feel like I have so much to do before Christmas, and it is practically here! I am so looking forward to seeing all my family. My niece and nephew will be here tonight and I am sooo happy. Do you have some big plans? I am trying to think of a great dessert for Christmas Eve but have zero ideas. If you have any great dessert recipe’s let me know in the comments! I hope you all enjoy today’s post and also your time with your friends and family this week!