So last week we talked about makeup, today is all about hair! 2014 was definitely a year of collecting hair products. From hairspray to masks, I have gone on a rampage testing out a bazillion products. I love working with hair products in place of hot tools. They are a great way to give your hair a break from the heat and amp up your style. I mean, I couldn’t live without dry shampoo. I try to go two days without washing my hair. When I tell most people this, they look at me with disgust…seriously. But it has made my hair so healthy and it grows way faster then before. I also rarely dye my hair now. Honestly, for the past three years I have been dying my hair once a year. I usually get balayage and ombre highlights put it and let my hair grown out naturally. I don’t touch my roots ever. My auburn is getting a lot darker these days and I’m trying to embrace the darker hue and resist going lighter. Okay now on to some hair products that I couldn’t live without. (To see more info on these products, watch my video HERE!)
1. DermOrganic Shampoo & Masque: This has been the one shampoo/conditioner that has really stood out to me this year. It is packed with effective yet natural ingredients, and keeps my hair incredibly healthy and shiny. I love that is has argan oil inside which is great at adding moisture, but it never weighs my hair down. I order mine off Vitacost, but I always see them at Marshalls and Tjmaxx.
2. Giovanni Natural Mousse: What I love most about this mousse, is how you can’t feel it when applied to your hair. It is so lightweight but still adds so much volume and bounce. I use one to two pumps and apply to wet hair. When I blow-dry, I always notice a difference in how much lift my hair has. Another bonus is that it’s made with natural and safe ingredients.
3. Alterna Beach Sun-Recovery Spray: This is my go-to leave-in conditioner, and has been for a few years. It leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and it smells so fruity and delicious. This is great year round, but especially in the summer when your hair is extra dry and brittle.
4. Bumble and Bumble Texture: Oldie but a goodie. I got this such a long time ago, so don’t let the price fool you. You really get your money’s worth here. I first found out about this from an old hair dresser of mine and was sold after she used it on me. It’s a putty consistency and you have to apply it on wet hair. If you want a surf/relaxed curl you can scrunch your hair and let it air dry. I do this a lot in the summer for an easy hairstyle. Another option is to comb it through, then blow dry your hair and style. The product will give your hair a bit of hold and yes…texture. It really alows you control your hair style and keep your hairstyle alive for at least two days.
5. Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment: I had a sample of this in Hawaii a few years ago and it kept my hair from becoming overly dry despite the weather. It’s a rich oil that you apply to the ends of wet hair. I love how hydrated it keeps my locks and the beautiful, slightly intoxicating scent it leaves in your hair. You can also apply a little to dry hair to smooth your ends, just don’t use too much.
6. Redken Wind Blow Dry Spray: I’m not a huge fan of strong hold hairsprays, which is why this spray has quickly become my BFF. It is a dry spray, so it won’t leave a tacky residue in your hair. Like the name says, it honestly looks like the wind has blown your hair around after using it. I love using this to finish off my hair style and give it an airy bounce. Pretty much my ideal finishing spray.
7. Teaze Comb: A must have! If my hair is ever flat, which is most of the time, I use this toward my part. A teazing ‘brush’ is so much more effective and less abrasive than a standard comb. I keep one in my purse and one in my bathroom AT ALL TIMES. Skip coffee one day and buy yourself one of these gems.
8. Got2B Volumizing Powder: If you want lasting volume, this is a must. It’s a slightly tacky powder that you pour into the roots of your hair. I rub it into my scalp and sometimes will go over it with a teasing comb for extra volume. Whenever I have an event to go to I always use this. If teasing your hair alone doesn’t do the trick, definitely try this as well. It amps up the lift like no other.
9. Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo: A surprising favorite for me this year. I wanted to include something that was easy to find at the drugstore that was also very effective. Dry shampoo’s can be tricky. Some leave a white residue, smell funky, or make your hair feel heavy. This one does everything you could want a dry shampoo to do. It takes away oil, leaves behind a refreshing smell, and adds weightless body to your hair.
10. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Dry Shampoo: This is usually my go-to dry shampoo. It’s a powder form which is great because it is much more gentle and safe on your hair. It’s also anti-aging and removes product build up. If you are okay with spending a little more money, I’d go with this dry shampoo.
11. Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask: I have tried many hair masks and this has worked the best for my hair. It is incredibly hydrating and healing. Not to mention it has the same scent the the healing oil has. I like to use this about once every two weeks to keep my hair looking and feeling it’s best.
This week flew by for me, anyone else? I sort of didn’t want it to go by so fast because I have so much to do. I may take a little break today, then work through the weekend to get ahead. I hope you all enjoy my favorites today. I really looove these products. Most of them should be new to you so hopefully you get some fun new product ideas! Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great weekend!
1. Cover FX BB Gel– This has become my everyday ‘foundation’ this summer. I say foundation because even though it is a bb gel, is gives me great coverage. I like it better than foundation because it has an anti-blemish treatment in it, so it keeps my skin clear. Nobody wants to be breaking out in the summer. The less makeup the better!
2. Essie Polish in Mezmerize– Once this is on my nails, I never want to take it off. It is such a beautiful and rich blue color. Your skin will also look slightly tanner when you wear this. Nail magic.
3. Alterna Rehab Deep Hydration Masque– So, my hair gets super dry and brittle in the summer. I love the sun, but my hair does not. But, when I use this in the shower my hair becomes much more hydrated. It also smells like heaven. My hair drinks this product up and I love it.
4. Butter London Cheek Blush in Piccadilly Circus– This color looks a little bold at first glance, but when blended into the cheeks it mellows out. I love wearing this when I don’t want to look like I have any makeup on. It gives my complexion a gorgeous flush, like I have spent a few hours outside. I also use this on my lips and it looks incredibly natural.
5. Jack Black Lip Balm SPF 25: After a trip to the river this summer, my lips got so so so sunburned. I can’t even explain to you how bad it was. It looked like something bit me or I had lip implants (really bad ones). So now I’m terrified of repeating that incident. I ran to Sephora after that weekend and picked two of these lip balms up because they have a high spf for a lip product. I’m not a fan of the sunscreen scent in most chapsticks, so this one is great. It is super rich and first and foremost protects my lips!
6. Urban Decay Chill Setting Spray– This is a must on super hot days. Makeup sweating down your face is not cute. Spray some of this over your finished makeup to set everything in place and to keep your makeup from looking too cakey.
7. Nature’s Way Coconut Oil– This has replaced aloe vera for me. If you slip up and get sunburned, drench your body in coconut oil overnight. You will waje up thanking me, I promise. It will take the sting out of your burn and turn your skin from red to a beautiful bronze. Did I mention it is 100% natural? Boom!
8. Loreal Infallible Shocking Extension Mascara– I have never been one to use waterproof mascara until this summer. It holds the curl in my lashes all day and never flakes on me. I like this mascara in particular for lots of reasons. First, the formula is incredible. It doesn’t irritate my eyes, is super black, and lasts forever. Second, the wand is crazy good. It is super thin so you can get every single lash, but it still applies a lot of product. It also is CRAZY lengthening and someone manages to thicken up your lashes at the same time. I mean, clearly you can tell I am a fan! (side note: I prefer the waterproof one over the regular formula. I find them to be completely different.)
Happy Friday everyone! I am heading down to San Diego this afternoon for a family function and will be back next Thursday. Of course right when we move we have to fligh home! Here are my favorites for the week. I have been using all these products everyday and I love them all! Thanks for watching and have a great weekend!
I finally filmed a video! But, it was super echo-y sooo I may need to film in our room since it’s smaller than the living room. I also use a mic, so I know it’s not that. We just have super high ceilings. So these products have been staples for the past week and a half. I have used them during our road trip and can always count on them! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Well I woke up to a million instagram pictures letting me know that today is in fact ‘National Donut Day’. It is pretty early right now and the last thing I want to do is drive to the donut shop looking like how I look right now. So I ate the next best thing. Pie. Yep pie. Andrew is on his finals week right now and had a major craving for coconut cream pie…so it has made mornings especially hard this week. I mean, is there anything better than pie in the morning? Pumpkin, apple, it all tastes great to me at 8:00 in the morning. But then after a few bites my tastes buds practically yell at me to eat something with some substance to it. Okay, I am totally not giving donuts the attention they deserve. I really really wish I didn’t like donuts. Not much smells better than opening a pink box full of donuts. I really have to limit myself to them only when I REALLY am craving one, or else I would be in major trouble. Originally this post was going to be on my weekly favorites. So here are some goodies I have been absolutely in love with. Enjoy the video and have a great weekend! …maybe eat a donut even.
With summer right around the corner I thought I would round up my top picks for the beach, river, or lake. Basically, if there is water involved, here is what you should bring! Plus, I am heading out to the river this weekend so it felt very relevant. One of my favorite things about Southern California is living near the beach and being able to drive out the Colorado River in under 5 hours. Let me know in the comments some of your picks too!
1. Cheap Sunglasses: Ya that’s right, I said cheap. I lost a pair of expensive sunnies at the river one year, and will never bring back a super nice pair. Plus they are going to get sandy and wet!
2. Spray-on Aloe: This is genius! I spray this on my face after I get out of the sun. It instantly hydrates my parched skin.
3. Leave-In Conditioner: This one is great because it has UV protectants which really helps to protect your hair. Spray in a leave-in before you get in the pool so your hair doesn’t absorb all the chemicals (or just get your hair wet first in the shower, then hop in). I also spray this in after I swim in the ocean. It works great at getting rid of tangles.
4. Panama Hat: If you want extra sun protection or just want to look extra chic, bring yourself a hat. I have been loving the look of panama hats lately.
5. Lip Balm with SPF: A MUST! I cannot tell you how many times my lips have been burned because I put on chapstick without an SPF.
6. Tote Bag: I like finding a bag that can work at the beach, but also be functional if I go out lunch or shopping after.
7. After Sun Lotion: Okay, sure you can use any lotion, but this is way better! This has organic aloe vera and almond butter with glittering particles of natural minerals that creates an amazing glow to the skin!
8. Organic Spray Suncreen: Once you use a spray sunscreen, it’s impossible to go back! This one is organic and smells like a citrus dream!
9. Comfy Flip Flops: Havaianas are the best. Find some flippys that work if you get them wet. Wearing some in a bright color always helps too!