All we have in our bedroom currently is a linen tufted bed, teal tufted settee (we had it custom upholstered, but the one above is similar) and mismatched bedside tables. I wanted to put together some decor ideas that I’ve been really into lately. If you guys have seen any of our home vlogs, you have seen our bedroom/closet layout. I want to put a rug like the one above in the closet space to make it look more like a closet and make it look like it’s own room. I also want to put that oval ottoman in the middle of it so we can use it as seating and fill out the room more. For the wall opposite our bed, we have our settee there now. I want to put a gold floor length mirror next to it that leans against the wall along with a little side table. The black chests in the photo are what I’m thinking of for our bedside tables. Our room is pretty big and our current tables look really tiny. I also like the idea of having all that extra storage space. As far as style goes, I want our room to be soft and romantic, but with some moroccan and rustic elements to keep it from looking too stuffy. Let me know what you guys think! I’ll have an update video on my channel soon of our bedroom.
So last week we talked about makeup, today is all about hair! 2014 was definitely a year of collecting hair products. From hairspray to masks, I have gone on a rampage testing out a bazillion products. I love working with hair products in place of hot tools. They are a great way to give your hair a break from the heat and amp up your style. I mean, I couldn’t live without dry shampoo. I try to go two days without washing my hair. When I tell most people this, they look at me with disgust…seriously. But it has made my hair so healthy and it grows way faster then before. I also rarely dye my hair now. Honestly, for the past three years I have been dying my hair once a year. I usually get balayage and ombre highlights put it and let my hair grown out naturally. I don’t touch my roots ever. My auburn is getting a lot darker these days and I’m trying to embrace the darker hue and resist going lighter. Okay now on to some hair products that I couldn’t live without. (To see more info on these products, watch my video HERE!)
1. DermOrganic Shampoo & Masque: This has been the one shampoo/conditioner that has really stood out to me this year. It is packed with effective yet natural ingredients, and keeps my hair incredibly healthy and shiny. I love that is has argan oil inside which is great at adding moisture, but it never weighs my hair down. I order mine off Vitacost, but I always see them at Marshalls and Tjmaxx.
2. Giovanni Natural Mousse: What I love most about this mousse, is how you can’t feel it when applied to your hair. It is so lightweight but still adds so much volume and bounce. I use one to two pumps and apply to wet hair. When I blow-dry, I always notice a difference in how much lift my hair has. Another bonus is that it’s made with natural and safe ingredients.
3. Alterna Beach Sun-Recovery Spray: This is my go-to leave-in conditioner, and has been for a few years. It leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and it smells so fruity and delicious. This is great year round, but especially in the summer when your hair is extra dry and brittle.
4. Bumble and Bumble Texture: Oldie but a goodie. I got this such a long time ago, so don’t let the price fool you. You really get your money’s worth here. I first found out about this from an old hair dresser of mine and was sold after she used it on me. It’s a putty consistency and you have to apply it on wet hair. If you want a surf/relaxed curl you can scrunch your hair and let it air dry. I do this a lot in the summer for an easy hairstyle. Another option is to comb it through, then blow dry your hair and style. The product will give your hair a bit of hold and yes…texture. It really alows you control your hair style and keep your hairstyle alive for at least two days.
5. Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment: I had a sample of this in Hawaii a few years ago and it kept my hair from becoming overly dry despite the weather. It’s a rich oil that you apply to the ends of wet hair. I love how hydrated it keeps my locks and the beautiful, slightly intoxicating scent it leaves in your hair. You can also apply a little to dry hair to smooth your ends, just don’t use too much.
6. Redken Wind Blow Dry Spray: I’m not a huge fan of strong hold hairsprays, which is why this spray has quickly become my BFF. It is a dry spray, so it won’t leave a tacky residue in your hair. Like the name says, it honestly looks like the wind has blown your hair around after using it. I love using this to finish off my hair style and give it an airy bounce. Pretty much my ideal finishing spray.
7. Teaze Comb: A must have! If my hair is ever flat, which is most of the time, I use this toward my part. A teazing ‘brush’ is so much more effective and less abrasive than a standard comb. I keep one in my purse and one in my bathroom AT ALL TIMES. Skip coffee one day and buy yourself one of these gems.
8. Got2B Volumizing Powder: If you want lasting volume, this is a must. It’s a slightly tacky powder that you pour into the roots of your hair. I rub it into my scalp and sometimes will go over it with a teasing comb for extra volume. Whenever I have an event to go to I always use this. If teasing your hair alone doesn’t do the trick, definitely try this as well. It amps up the lift like no other.
9. Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo: A surprising favorite for me this year. I wanted to include something that was easy to find at the drugstore that was also very effective. Dry shampoo’s can be tricky. Some leave a white residue, smell funky, or make your hair feel heavy. This one does everything you could want a dry shampoo to do. It takes away oil, leaves behind a refreshing smell, and adds weightless body to your hair.
10. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Dry Shampoo: This is usually my go-to dry shampoo. It’s a powder form which is great because it is much more gentle and safe on your hair. It’s also anti-aging and removes product build up. If you are okay with spending a little more money, I’d go with this dry shampoo.
11. Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask: I have tried many hair masks and this has worked the best for my hair. It is incredibly hydrating and healing. Not to mention it has the same scent the the healing oil has. I like to use this about once every two weeks to keep my hair looking and feeling it’s best.
It’s almost 2015! I am rounding up my top products of the year and figured I’d start out with skincare. I have a slight obsession with skin care products and am so happy with all the great products I’ve discovered this year. I am a huge fan of using products with pure and natural ingredients. They have transformed my skin and I highly suggest you try substituting some of your products with harsh ingredients with more pure ones. Here are my very favorite skin care items that I use daily!
1. Giovanni Facial Cleansing Towelettes– I always like having face wipes on hand. They are great at taking off the bulk of your makeup, especially while you are watching tv at night! I don’t count on these to do all of my cleansing, but they work really well at a quick and easy clean. (I always wash my face later on with an actual cleanser…see number 2.)
2. Sibu Sea Buckthorn Cleanser– SO. GOOD. If you want the perfect cleanser here you go! This is my go-to. It does a great job at taking your makeup off and giving your skin a deep clean. It has tiny beads that really help to get all the gunk out of your pores. It smells lightly of citrus and has a gel texture. This cleanser won’t burn your eyes and will keep your breakouts away. Seriously, buy it.
3. Shea Terra Argan and Rosemary Cleansing Oil– Alright this product has been life-changing ever since I started using it. No joke. Basically, it’s an oil that you apply first to a cotton ball, then wipe all across your face after you cleanse. You will see everything that wasn’t washed away with your cleanser on the cotton ball. Sometimes if I don’t do a good job at washing my face, it’s a little gross seeing all the gunk that I end up wiping off. But it will leave your skin completely purified and since there is rosemary in this, you are fighting the bacteria on your face. I don’t usually need a moisturizer after I used this product.
4. Andalou Naturals Dermal Filler– I have recently started noticing fine lines on my skin. Sad day. A friend recommended this to me to target under eye fine lines and smile lines near the mouth. I love the smooth texture this product has and I actually can tell that it works. Definitely a staple in my routine now, and it’s always in my shopping cart!
5. CSI Vivid Eyes Cucumber Eye Cream– I don’t get much darkness under my eyes, but I do get puffy in the morning. This eye cream works almost instantly at reducing any redness or puffy areas around your eyes. I love the refreshing scent and how lightweight it is. I see this as an instant wake up product. (Especially great after a long night!)
6. Andalou Naturals Rosewater Mask– Holy moly. The second I opened this little gem and gave it a whiff I was sold. Then after I applied it to my skin I wanted to tell every person I know to go run and buy one! It feels so luxurious and smells like a sweet rosey marshmallow. This is great for replenishing dry skin and adding a glow to the skin.
7. Alba Good & Healthy Weightless Moisture Lotion– This lotion has actual veggies inside so it doesn’t have the best scent. However, the ingredients are so nourishing that I can let that slide. This keeps my skin from ever feeling dry or itchy during the winter months. It works great under makeup and has helped my skin stay balanced.
8. Purlisse Pur-Protect Spf 30 Sunscreen– This is a great all around sunscreen. I apply this either before or after my moisturizer. Honestly which ever is closer to me goes on my skin first! I love that this sunscreen doesn’t smell to strong and is super lightweight. It also has soothing ingredients inside like white tea, which really helps calm my sensitive skin.
9. Andalou Illuminating Toner– I am a huge fan of the brightening line from Andalou Naturals. This toner does a great job at keeping your skin balanced and gets rid of any dirt and grime. With all the brightening products, your skin will look more radiant after using them.
10. Avalon Organics Lavender Scrub– All time favorite scrub. This is an incredibly soothing scrub, which is great if you have sensitive skin like I do. It feels amazing when applied to the skin and you will notice an improvement in your skin after the first use. I love seeing how my skin glows after I use this scrub…it’s slightly addicting. If you are looking for a new scrub this is a no brainer.
11. Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Night Cream– Like the rose mask I use, this has a similar scent and texture. It not only feels great, but keeps my skin hydrated throughout the entire night. I hate waking up with tight and itchy skin, but when I use this product that never happens! I prefer using this when my skin is on the dry side because it is a rich cream, but never clogs my pores.
12. Just Natural Acne Spot Treatment– Last but not least is this miracle oil. I apply this to any active pimples or bumps on my skin overnight. When I wake up my bumps are either completely gone or reduced in size dramatically! I have tried countless acne products and this is by FAR the best I’ve tried. You might be thinking ‘oil on pimples’? Until you try it out for yourself you won’t know how amazing it is. Trust!
I finally filmed a video! But, it was super echo-y sooo I may need to film in our room since it’s smaller than the living room. I also use a mic, so I know it’s not that. We just have super high ceilings. So these products have been staples for the past week and a half. I have used them during our road trip and can always count on them! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!