Hey everyone! Today I have a post on something very important to me which is ingredients! Especially since being pregnant, I find myself wanting to be extra cautious of what I’m putting on my skin. I chatted with ‘The Choosy Chick’ on what to avoid when looking for skincare. Below are something things to watch out for! I also included a few of my favorite products from their site that I know you will love too. Make sure to check out The Choosy Chick for amazing hand-picked green products! (coupon codes are at the end of post!)
I have been testing out the MUN skincare and it’s worked great with my skin. My favorite from the trio is the Brightening Youth Serum. Especially as we head into the cooler months, I’m loving oils on my skin at night. They pump up the moisture and keep my hydrated until the next day. The Mint Your Feet by Kosmatology has been a lifesaver for my achy preggo feet! It has a soothing blend of essential oils that add a cooling effect. I tend to use this at night when I’m getting ready for bed or watching tv. The Nudus lipsticks intimidated me at first because I thought they would be too dark for my lips. But I has happily surprised once I applied them. They give a more sheer wash of color and are in very flattering shades. My favorite is Naked. Last is the Kari Gran sunscreen. Love! It has more of an oily consistency but rubs right into the skin without leaving a white cast. I can’t go a day without it!
Ingredients to Avoid in Skincare
Most skincare products on the market today contain a cocktail of chemicals that have not been tested for safety and many are linked to hormone disruption, neurotoxicity, fertility problems and cancer. Get to know the ingredients in personal care products and avoid the offenders where you can, even when NOT pregnant. Many ingredients are passed to the fetus in utero, found in cord blood and breast milk. As a result, babies are being born “pre-polluted” with numerous toxins stemming from a variety of sources.
While there are lots of concerning ingredients, here are a few troublemakers for expectant mothers:
Synthetic fragrances often contain hundreds of different ingredients that do not need to be disclosed. Many contain Phthalates (pronounced “thalates”). Dibutyl Phthalate and Diethyl Phthalate are inexpensive chemicals used in plastics to make them more flexible and are also used to make fragrances last longer. They are quickly and easily absorbed through the skin, and in lab experiments have been known to interfere with hormone production, decrease sperm count, and cause developmental defects. The European Union classifies Dibutyl Phthalate as being toxic to the reproductive system because it may cause harm to the unborn child and impair fertility. Diethyl Phthalate is also suspected of interfering with hormone function, causing reproductive and developmental problems, and is linked to early puberty in girls. Avoid the broad term, “fragrance” on ingredient labels and look for products with no scent added, or scented with natural ingredients like essential oils.
According to the Breast Cancer Fund, research has found many of the chemicals in sunscreens disrupt the endocrine system and may play a role in breast cancer development. Oxybenzone is rapidly absorbed through the skin and is linked to hormone disruption and low birth weight in babies. Homosalate, a hormone disrupting UVB blocker is estrogenic. Instead, choose sunscreens with safer mineral blockers like zinc oxide.
Commonly found in hand soap, toothpaste and other products with “antibacterial” properties. According to The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, Triclosan can cause endocrine disruption and be especially harmful for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Some studies raise concerns that exposure to Triclosan may contribute to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. The FDA recently issued a notice that when washing, plain old soap and water is best.
For more information on the toxicity of these and other ingredients, visit the Big Baddies list at The Choosy Chick – thechoosychick.com.
The Choosy Chick
FREESHIPNUDUS – Free US Shipping on all nudus lipsticks
MUN always ships free in the US – code: MUNSHIPSFREE
Hey guys! For those of you who haven’t heard yet, Cover FX just launched a new product call Custom Cover Drops. Basically, they are pure pigments that you mix with any liquid product, to create a custom foundation. Some things you can mix it with are primers, serums, facial oils or moisturizers. The finish that you get depends on what product you mix it with. The same goes for the coverage, the more drops you add, the more coverage you get. I have been loving experimenting with these drops and being my own mixologist. Let me know if you have tried these out yet in the comments! You can watch my video below to see what they look like applied to the skin.
I know it’s still February, well almost March, but I’m actually ready for summer. I am fully aware I am always saying how much I love winter. But the other day I looked in the mirror and the person looking back at me looked like a vampire. Kidding, but I am that pale. I am all for that porcelain skin, but I mean, I need some color stat. A few days after I realized how translucent I was, our weather suddenly heated up and truly felt like summer. I laid out in the sun for a few days to soak up all the vitamin D I could and it felt amazing. I even got a little bit of color! It didn’t last long though, it started pouring last night. Anyways, that little tease made me super excited for the summer and I even pulled out some summer clothes last night. I organized all my bathing suits too which made me more motivated to get in shape. Little tip for you guys. Put on a bathing suit tonight. It will give you that kick in the butt to get in the gym. So here are some pieces that I’m currently inspired by (some I own). I’m even going to play some country music right now. Drivin around song anyone? (On a side note: go watch #candidlynicole on youtube. The funniest thing ever, even Andrew loves it. There are clips on AOL Originals & the Candidly Nicole channel. Loove.)
I received this fruit infuser water bottle in my last Fab Fit Fun box and I thought I’d show you how it works! Sometimes water can be a bit boring, so infusing it with fruit, veggies or herbs can makes things more interesting. There are so many combinations you can try out yourself, but I am going to show you what I use most often. Besides making your water look pretty, infusing it has so many health benefits. Water alone helps to balance your body fluids, keep your skin looking good, control calorie intake, energize muscles, and cleanse your body of toxins. So just add that list, to what infused water does and you are on your way to feeling and looking great! (use code kendrafruitwater for a free bottle in your next Fab Fit Fun box)
First, decide what you want to use in your water bottle. Slice it up into small pieces and place in the middle insert. Once you have everything inside, twist the pink cap back on and place back inside the bottle. I like to put mine in the fridge for a little bit to get cold and let the fruit do it’s job. After about 10 minutes you will start to taste the difference, but the longer you let it sit, the more the flavors can seep into the water.
Lemon water is so quick and easy. Lemons provide so many health benefits. So I had to make a list!
-boosts your immunity
-gives you an energy boost
-freshens your breath
-cleanses your system
-clears up your skin
Another type of infused water I love is cucumbers and oranges. I love the sweetness you get from the orange, but you also get a clean aftertaste from the cucumber. It is super refreshing and delicious! Oranges aid with healthy blood circulation and provide vitamin C. Cucumbers are incredibly hydrating and they also help flush out toxins.
Some other great ingredients are mint, raspberries, lime and strawberries.
Let me know what your favorite types of infused water are!
Oil Cleansing is great at removing all your makeup and deep cleaning your skin. I usually do this once a week, but you can definitely do this more often if you want. If you wear a lot of makeup everyday, this will really help to get everything off at night. What I love about oil cleansing, is that most of these products are already in your pantry. When I first started using oils to cleanse, I would mix them in a little tupperware bowl. Now I use a glass dropper bottle, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Now let me try to convince you to use this method yourself, because it’s freaking amazing and your skin will thank me. You can watch my video down below to learn more about this super easy and awesome way to clean your skin!
1. This is way safer than drugstore or high end makeup removers/cleansers. This is as pure as you can get.
2. When you use this on a regular basis, you will see your amount of breakouts significantly drop or completely disappear.
3. This will serve as your makeup remover, cleanser, and moisturizer so you’ll save yourself some time at night.
4. The oils will extract any dirt, build-up, and makeup that accumulated over the day way more effectively than a typical cleanser.
Castor oil is a great oil to begin with. Use more if you have oily skin, and less if you have dry skin. Then find an oil below to mix with it. I like using 2 parts olive oil and 1 part castor oil. You can also add a little vitamin E to your mixture.
Today we are talking makeup! I went through my makeup and grabbed everything that has really stood out to me this year. These are products that I love and recommend to all my friends. I also have a few extras in my YouTube video HERE. Let me know in the comments your top 2 products from 2014. I hope you all enjoy my picks!
1 – Cover FX Calming Primer: Cover FX products are always in my favorites because they packed with skin-soothing ingredients and free of nasty chemicals and irritants. Oh ya and they work! This primer in particular feels amazing when you apply it. It reduces redness and inflammation which is great after a late night or a lack of sleep. It also clarifies, brightens and evens out your skin tone.
2 – Nars Blush in Madly: This is a blush you would most likely pass by when scanning the makeup counter. It doesn’t look like much in the pan, but once you apply it, you’ll see how it transforms your complexion. That sounds a little dramatic, but I love a good blush. It’s very warm-toned and gives a sun kissed look to your cheeks without being shimmery. I also love to use this as a crease color on my lids. Nars blushes are crazy pigmented and even though they are slightly more expensive, they’ll last forever.
3 – Loreal Shocking Extensions Mascara (waterproof): I am so glad I discovered this mascara. Make sure you get the waterproof formula because it’s completely different than the original. The wand is very thin and has little spikes that separate your lashes. You can really work the wand into the base of your lashes to add both volume and length. I like applying a thickening mascara first, then layering this for crazy lift and separation.
4 – Lorac Porefection Foundation: This has become my number one foundation. It gives a flawless finish to the skin and lasts all day long. It’s packed with anti-aging ingredients like vitamins A & E, aloe leaf, lemon fruit extract and papaya fruit extract. The formula feels incredibly hydrating on the skin and also has SPF 20, always a plus! You’ll get a natural, slightly satin finish and medium to full coverage. I have a few pumps left of mine and I’m trying so hard to savor it!
5 – Mac Lipstick in Blankety: I keep this lipstick in my purse everyday. A lot of nudes pull orange on me because I have really pigmented lips. This lipstick has a slight mauve tone to it and looks true to color when on. It’s an amplified formula which is super creamy and velvety. I have over 10 different lip products in my purse, and this is always the one that ends up on my lips.
6 – Buxom Gloss in White Russian: Another purse favorite! I like to have this near me at all times. It lasts sooo long on your lips, sometimes I can’t even believe it. It is a light milky pink color and plumps up your lips a little when you have it on. It has a little bit of tack to it but feels really comfortable on the lips. This is what I use on brides because of the great staying power and universally flattering shade.
7 – Cover FX Cream Concealer: This concealer is pretty rich in texture, so you need the smallest amount when applying to your skin. I dot a little under my eyes and blend out with either my fingertips or a brush. You can also use on other areas of your face, like dark spots or blemishes. It’s also incredibly hydrating and full coverage!
8 – Mac Blush in Tenderling: Another blush that you wouldn’t look twice at. I tend to go for these muted shades of blush. Tenderling is a cool toned blush that is great for people with fair skin. It’s a rosey-nude, that compliments any makeup look. Whenever I want a very neutral face, I like to pop this on my cheeks to give a slight flush of color.
9 – Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer: The packaging has recently changed for this product but what’s inside hasn’t! I would say this is more of a foundation than tinted moisturizer. It gives amazing coverage for a ‘tinted moisturizer’ and leaves your skin looking radiant. It also has hyaluronic acid inside which plumps and tightens the skin while filling in deep wrinkles over the course of the day. Have I sold you yet? It also evens out your skin tone, adds moisture to your skin, and has SPF 15. If you want to treat yourself to a luxurious product, this is it!
10 – Benecos Eyeliner: I discovered this natural eyeliner a few years ago and it’s become a staple ever since. I have super sensitive eyes and wear contacts everyday so a lot of eyeliners smudge on my contacts or irritate my eyes throughout the day. This product is both highly pigmented and non-irritating. Black and blue are the two colors I’ve tried, and I love them both.
11 – Bite Beauty Matte Lip Crayon in Glace: So much love for this lippie! It gives the most beautiful mauve matte lip. I never was much of a matte person, but now I’m sold. Matte products typically are very drying, but this product has orange peel extract and resveratrol which keeps your lips super hydrated. Bite Beauty products are made with food-grade ingredients, so you can breath easy knowing you aren’t ingesting nasty chemicals. Every time I wear this color when when I’m with a friend, they try it on and buy it the next day. Seriously it’s that impressive. Oh and it’s water-resistant!
It’s almost 2015! I am rounding up my top products of the year and figured I’d start out with skincare. I have a slight obsession with skin care products and am so happy with all the great products I’ve discovered this year. I am a huge fan of using products with pure and natural ingredients. They have transformed my skin and I highly suggest you try substituting some of your products with harsh ingredients with more pure ones. Here are my very favorite skin care items that I use daily!
1. Giovanni Facial Cleansing Towelettes– I always like having face wipes on hand. They are great at taking off the bulk of your makeup, especially while you are watching tv at night! I don’t count on these to do all of my cleansing, but they work really well at a quick and easy clean. (I always wash my face later on with an actual cleanser…see number 2.)
2. Sibu Sea Buckthorn Cleanser– SO. GOOD. If you want the perfect cleanser here you go! This is my go-to. It does a great job at taking your makeup off and giving your skin a deep clean. It has tiny beads that really help to get all the gunk out of your pores. It smells lightly of citrus and has a gel texture. This cleanser won’t burn your eyes and will keep your breakouts away. Seriously, buy it.
3. Shea Terra Argan and Rosemary Cleansing Oil– Alright this product has been life-changing ever since I started using it. No joke. Basically, it’s an oil that you apply first to a cotton ball, then wipe all across your face after you cleanse. You will see everything that wasn’t washed away with your cleanser on the cotton ball. Sometimes if I don’t do a good job at washing my face, it’s a little gross seeing all the gunk that I end up wiping off. But it will leave your skin completely purified and since there is rosemary in this, you are fighting the bacteria on your face. I don’t usually need a moisturizer after I used this product.
4. Andalou Naturals Dermal Filler– I have recently started noticing fine lines on my skin. Sad day. A friend recommended this to me to target under eye fine lines and smile lines near the mouth. I love the smooth texture this product has and I actually can tell that it works. Definitely a staple in my routine now, and it’s always in my shopping cart!
5. CSI Vivid Eyes Cucumber Eye Cream– I don’t get much darkness under my eyes, but I do get puffy in the morning. This eye cream works almost instantly at reducing any redness or puffy areas around your eyes. I love the refreshing scent and how lightweight it is. I see this as an instant wake up product. (Especially great after a long night!)
6. Andalou Naturals Rosewater Mask– Holy moly. The second I opened this little gem and gave it a whiff I was sold. Then after I applied it to my skin I wanted to tell every person I know to go run and buy one! It feels so luxurious and smells like a sweet rosey marshmallow. This is great for replenishing dry skin and adding a glow to the skin.
7. Alba Good & Healthy Weightless Moisture Lotion– This lotion has actual veggies inside so it doesn’t have the best scent. However, the ingredients are so nourishing that I can let that slide. This keeps my skin from ever feeling dry or itchy during the winter months. It works great under makeup and has helped my skin stay balanced.
8. Purlisse Pur-Protect Spf 30 Sunscreen– This is a great all around sunscreen. I apply this either before or after my moisturizer. Honestly which ever is closer to me goes on my skin first! I love that this sunscreen doesn’t smell to strong and is super lightweight. It also has soothing ingredients inside like white tea, which really helps calm my sensitive skin.
9. Andalou Illuminating Toner– I am a huge fan of the brightening line from Andalou Naturals. This toner does a great job at keeping your skin balanced and gets rid of any dirt and grime. With all the brightening products, your skin will look more radiant after using them.
10. Avalon Organics Lavender Scrub– All time favorite scrub. This is an incredibly soothing scrub, which is great if you have sensitive skin like I do. It feels amazing when applied to the skin and you will notice an improvement in your skin after the first use. I love seeing how my skin glows after I use this scrub…it’s slightly addicting. If you are looking for a new scrub this is a no brainer.
11. Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Night Cream– Like the rose mask I use, this has a similar scent and texture. It not only feels great, but keeps my skin hydrated throughout the entire night. I hate waking up with tight and itchy skin, but when I use this product that never happens! I prefer using this when my skin is on the dry side because it is a rich cream, but never clogs my pores.
12. Just Natural Acne Spot Treatment– Last but not least is this miracle oil. I apply this to any active pimples or bumps on my skin overnight. When I wake up my bumps are either completely gone or reduced in size dramatically! I have tried countless acne products and this is by FAR the best I’ve tried. You might be thinking ‘oil on pimples’? Until you try it out for yourself you won’t know how amazing it is. Trust!
Hey guys! Long time no talk! Today I have a fun and festive holiday makeup tutorial. Honestly you can wear this look to so many things. Holiday party, out to dinner, shopping…anything! The face is basically what I’ve been doing for the past month, so you can see what products have been in my rotation. For the eyes I did a smokey bronze look. and added some glitter in the end to amp it up a bit. I hope you all enjoy!
Here are my picks for the beauty lover in your life! More gift guides to come…let me know what person you need to shop for! Can you believe it is almost DECEMBER?? What the heck? I’m actually in shock typing this. lol. I need to get started on my holiday shopping, I usually do most of it online. Check my youtube channel on Friday for a special video that is all about holiday sales for cyber Monday and my top picks!
**coupon code for the curling iron**
Get ANY set for $99 + Free Argan Oil + Free Shipping!!
Use Code: doubledip
Get 60% off entire site + Free US Shipping!
Use Code: Kendra60
Hey guys! I hope you are all having a productive week. I can’t believe it’s already Thursday. I need more hours in the day!! So today we are talking hair and body care. I recently started trying out products from Just Natural and am loving everything so far. I want to try more now, even though I do not need any more products in my bathroom! All the products are alcohol free, cruelty free, gluten free, handmade fresh, made in the USA, natural, organic, no gmo’s, paraben free, sulfate free, and vegan. I mean common!!! So I wanted to go over each product I have been using and let you know some of the skin care benefits each has. Also, let me know in the comments if you have tried other products from the line.
1. Vinegar Rinse Cleanser: So happy I found this. I use a lot of products in my hair, and I haven’t been using any clarifying shampoo’s lately. I have always heard that apple cider vinegar is great for getting product build-up out of your hair, but am too lazy to make my own concoction. When I saw that Just Natural carried this, it was the first thing on my wish list. It gets rid of any build up in your hair from the environment, minerals from your water and hair products. It basically detoxifies the barrier of residue on your hair leaving your hair much more soft and super shiny. Each and every one of you needs this in your shower!
2. Shampoo (Thicker Hair): Who doesn’t want thicker hair? Okay, I guess some people don’t. But I am always teasing my hair to give it more volume and lift. This is a great shampoo because it doesn’t way your hair down. I have been using the Dermorganic shampoo for a long time now, but it’s nice to switch off with this one because of how lightweight it is. It contains burdock extract, vitamin b5, rice protein and camellia seed oil which help to strengthen, prevent damage, add body, strength, softness, radiance, and flexibility to the hair. All things that we are all in need of!
3. Leave-in Conditioner: This is very rich cream so you need the tiniest amount. I use this on my ends to help add extra hydration as my hair dries. Most products that contain chemicals just lay on your hair and don’t really sink into the strands. This on the other hand, actually penetrates in the hair with natural fruit extracts, oils and butters. It is full of pure ingredients like babassu oil, fenugreek, calendula and horsetail extracts, that help strengthen and moisturize your
hair. Hello radiance!
4. Manuka Acne Treatment: So I rarely use the words ‘holy grail’ but I think the time has come. This miracle in a bottle is unreal. I had a few pimples on my forehead one night and put a little of this oil on overnight. When I woke up they were almost completely gone. They had shrunk in size and were much less red. Then by the end of the day, they were gone! What!? The manuka oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial and also has antimicrobial properties that penetrate to
unblock pores. Plus, karanja and red thyme naturally improve and restore the skin. Just get yourself a little jar and see the results for yourself!
5. Natural Body Cream: This is some thick cream! If you get super dry in the colder months this will really help you out. It contains macadamia oil and illipe butter to provide deep hydration and smoothness. I keep this on my bedside table and use right when I get out of the shower. It feels like butter putting on, and my skin drinks it up. Say goodbye to cracked knees and ankles. Okay that sounded gross, but it’s true.
6. Natural Body Wash: (Skin Calming): If you are looking for a pure and hydrating shower gel you will love this. It has aloe vera, licorice extract and sea buckthorn oil which are all incredibly moisturizing and soothing to the skin. It’s also packed with omega rich oils, vitamins and protein to renew your skin. This one has an herbally scent which is what I gravitate toward. If you walk into Aveda stores and find yourself inhaling deeply, I’m right there with you. This has earned a spot in my shower this fall and I am thoroughly enjoying it!
Now I want to go take a shower after writing this!